Vidgamer's View

Monday, June 14, 2004

More on Nintendo and the state of the gaming industry. [games]

More comments from Nintendo.

Hard as it may be for those editors to believe, not everyone outside their circle is prepared to pay a high price for a new console....


I think this is really the bottom-line. You have a very vocal group of dedicated fans who always want to push the state of the art and for many of them, money is no object. There was a time in the past where I tried to buy every available console; let me tell you, that adds up quickly! Sure, I got to play games that I otherwise would have missed out on, but it wasn't very practical.

This article focuses on that M.Soft is jumping the gun and releasing their new console when the original was only out for 4 years. If companies stretch out the release of a new system, there is more money available by consumers to buy games, and less overhead for companies to work on that new machine.

That sounds relatively logical, but there are those who don't really agree with that, and want something bigger, faster, etc. What worries me is that with each generation, the improvements are more subtle and less revolutionary. We will get more polygons, even better shading and lighting effects, but is the typical pre-teen going to appreciate that? And if not, isn't it a waste of resources adding those polygons? Every object has to be designed, and more polys and more features mean more programmers and time. How much money is everyone going to have to invest to keep the minority of die-hard fans happy?

I'm not excluding myself from the die-hard category either, I just want to be a bit practical now and then. And when it comes down to it, I can suffer with the current level of 3D graphics for a bit longer in exchange for something cool and revolutionary. (How about those 3D glasses?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home